Air Display

APACHE IMPRESSES WITH EXPLOSIVE DISPLAY

The Army Air Corps Attack Helicopter Display Team put on an excellent display to thousands of onlookers at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in July, with the Apache becoming one of the most talkedĀ  about displays.

The team from 3 Regiment Army Air Corps, based at Wattisham Flying Station in Suffolk, put on a display including pyrotechnic explosions to simulate gunfire and rockets used by the Apache when on operations. This added impact and awe to the flying display.

The scenario followed a typical sortie in support of ground troops in Afghanistan, with real time radio transmission between the pilot and simulated ground forces bringing the display to life. Flown by Warrant Officer Bruce Allen, the Apache showcased aerobatic manoeuvres to highlight the agility and speed of the aircraft in its ability to support ground troops.

The awe inspiring finale to the display was the wall of fire; a huge explosion followed by a low level pass by the Apache, leaving the crowds with one of the best photo opportunities of the weekend.

Team manager Capt Jim Trayhurn said:

“We are bigger and better this year and hope to wow the crowd with a pyrotechnic display. We take the aircraft to its limits to show the public the capability of the aircraft, this allows them to get a flavour for what we are doing when on operations.”

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.