664 Squadron Charity Watt Bike Challenge

On the 9th of December 2020, 30 soldiers from 664 Squadron, 4 Regiment AAC, also known as “The Archers”, set out to cover 664 km on Watt Bikes in teams of five to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund – The Soldier’s Charity.

The event was organised by the 664 Sqn REME Workshop, however, soldiers and officers from across all the Sqns different departments took part in the challenge. There were two REME teams, an Aircrew team, a Signals team, a Groundcrew team and an SQMS team.

The event kicked off on the Wednesday morning with the 1st riders pedalling off at 1000hrs and the last riders finishing at 0830hrs the following day. We took several precautions due to the CV-19 environment, including sanitising the bikes between riders and spacing out the competitors. The event was arduous and challenged everyone’s physical and mental resilience. It was particularly difficult to find the motivation to get back on the bike in the early hours when little rest had been had post the previous shift. However, towards the end everyone saw the light at the end of the tunnel and with encouragement from other team members managed to complete the challenge with a sprint finish.

The Signals team came in 1st place finishing at 0600hrs with a time of 20hrs and an extremely respectable average pace of 33.2 kmph, the Aircrew team finished not far behind. My team, REME Team 2, came in last place finishing at 0830hrs with a time of 22 hours and 30 minutes. Most of us were not to accustomed to long distance cycling, so it felt like a huge accomplishment to finish the challenge with all team members still in one piece. All six teams travelled in total 3984km and we managed to raise a total of £1246 for the Soldier’s Charity.

LCpl Danni Smith REME
664 Sqn
4 Regt AAC